[dba-Tech] The status of the browser

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 5 20:32:41 CDT 2010

Actually, where there are 10 to 50 users, where internet and resources are
very limited, a Linux based alternative makes far more sense. Ubuntu
desktop, Debian server, OpenOffice, Zimbra mail server (there are a few to
choose from) Thunderbird mail client...Chrome, FireBird etc etc...

Ubuntu was initially created to be able to utilize old equipment in areas
where limited resources were available. All the .Net languages are available
on Linux, through frameworks like Mono and Grasshopper and I understand
there is even PowerBasic for Linux. Then there in Intranet web application
which are very popular. (Did a client's 10 uesr site around the end of last
year.)

But in North America, Europe and much of the far east internet is fast and
reliable.

In summary, it all depends where you are doing a majority of your business.