[dba-Tech] Once and for all time: server backups

Tydda Jon - Slough jon.tydda at lonza.com
Tue Jan 12 11:19:52 CST 2010

For a server backup on small scale, you want either a big NAS (Network Attached Storage) or a tape drive with lots of tapes.

We've got Veritas Backup Exec v10, with a robot tape library that can hold 83 Ultrium 3 tapes (400-800gb per tape). We typically backup around 3tb a night.

I realise that's probably overkill for Janet's requirements, but scale it down a little and you can do it. An Ultrium 2 tape drive (an 8 tape carousel would work), with a rotation of tapes (200-400gb) for daily, weekly, monthly and annual backups would do the job perfectly.

The jobs aer totally customisable with Backup Exec, and pretty straightforward to do. If you get stuck, there are plenty of forums and web pages offering advice etc.

I don't know much about costs though, I don't do much on the server/hardware side any more these days.

Jon