[dba-Tech] Once and for all time: server backups

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 12:32:03 CST 2010

John,

>> It's fairly obvious that
1. the company they hired to supply the hardware and install the system this
system
Or <<

Doesn't look like you finished your thought, there, pardner!

>> If their server has a quality RAID system... <<

That appears to be debatable.  What I was confused by was that the guys who
installed the server (which took a HELL of a long time to do...formatting
the RAID array took something like 12 hours on-site.  They didn't have the
smarts to do that at their shop!) speced out such a small RAID array...I
believe it's only 70 GB.  The 500 GB data drive doesn't have its own RAID
array.  Why they couldn't have made a RAID array to provide 500 GB is beyond
me.  I can't believe that they RECOMMENDED it.  How is the business owner
supposed to know?

They also speced out only 4 GB of RAM.  My old network admin had Janet's
boss buy another 8 GB right away and that fixed some of the performance
issues.

I think that Janet has tried to get reliable image backups with so many
different versions of Casper and Acronis now, that she's run into the
problem of the VSS being hosed because of Acronis and not being able to
completely uninstall it.

This all makes Janet very crabby at times.

I simply fail to see why such a small server should have so many backup
problems.  There's something going on here that the various software support
folks just aren't touching.  That is, Casper and Acronis.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI