[dba-Tech] New virtual drive

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 03:06:55 CST 2010

Hello All,

I am reading this thread with baited breath.

(
By they way, is that the correct spelling of baited, should it be bated, as
in unabated.

Haha, I just googled this question, and if you do not mind, I will leave it
here for amusement
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/bated-breath.html

)

Back to the thread.

First to Steve: you mentioned that you had to use an XP Cd to perform a
repair / upgrade.  Is that because the machine was Win98?  Could you not
have left it running as Win98.  The reason I ask is I have an XP Laptop I
want to P2V so I am wondering will I still need to dig out a XP disk, or if
I am happy with the OS, can I use the tools you kindly recommdned and I will
be good to go.

To Bobby:My brother is trying to convince me to switch to VMWare instead of
VM by MS, including the HyperV Services that I am happy with on W2k8.  Do
you think that VM ware is better, If so, should I try to install from
scratch or can I load it on top of W2k8.  I get the impression from a first
pass on the VM ware site that there are two breeds of VM ware, on that
installs over an existing OS and one that installs on a bare metal box - is
that a correct assumption?  If so, I have to assume that the bare metal box
is much better.

To All:
This year I build a number of VM machines, Win2k3, 2k8, Vista, Win7, XP Pro
etc.  My experience was pretty much good.  I can use them as IIS Servers,
SQL Servers etc with no probs.  However, when I try to use the Vista or the
W7 machine as a Front End machine, IOW as a machine where the primary
function is to server a fast GUI then I was dis-satasfied.  IOW, I can use
it for a few minutes or hours even, but when I was the sort of response time
you get from a native machine, the VM was not giving it.  Sure it can load
MS word or VS2008, but I found small delays of 1/2 second to be tireseome
when traversing VS2008 or SSMS etc.

IOW, my personal summary was for rapid response from a GUI stick with
physical machine, but the VM were really really good as a second choice.

I built up a library of machine that I do not touch, and a second library
that I use, but can delete and replace with the clean machine at anytime.

One last thing, you can move machines from Virtual Server to HyperV, but you
have to re-activate Windows when you move them.
One other last thing, since I saw how good HyperV is, I do not wish to ever
use Virtual Server again.
AFAIK, HyperV requires W2k8

Hope someone benefits from this and you do not have to wait with bated
breath again like me:)

Mark