[dba-Tech] Once and for all time: server backups

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 13 20:33:59 CST 2010

I will concur with on this one John.

From: dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:dba-tech-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of John Bartow
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:06 AM
To: 'Discussion of Hardware and Software issues'
Subject: Re: [dba-Tech] Once and for all time: server backups

Steve,
My comments:
A server of this magnitude should be comprised of a RAID system that is
capable of recovering from on HD failure without hassle.

Acronis has a version specifically for SBS. SBS has a lot of things going on
that workstations and regular server does not.

While I agree that having a bootable image backup is a great idea, I also
think that if the imaging idea is not working out then move on and depend on
the RAID to be your HD disaster recovery method. Regular backups are mostly
for file recovery and, in lieu of an image backup, should probably only be
considered useful for that. Most backup apps include a disaster recovery
option where they can be booted from removal media and rebuild the system
from the backups.

<soapbox>
I realize this is post mortem but the planning for a server/client/network
is the number one most important part. It's fairly obvious that
1. the company they hired to supply the hardware and install the system this
system
Or
2. if they did, the person who made the decision to not follow their
recommendations
did not do their job well.

I feel Janet's (and your vicarious) pain on this :o(
<off soapbox>

So in conclusion:
If there the server has a quality RAID system and you can't get Acronis SBS
version to operate effectively - give up on the imaging and move to a more
simple file backup system. SBS has one built in. I wish I could stop in and
make it all better for Janet! Best of luck my friend!