[dba-Tech] SBS 2008 performance

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 03:46:22 CST 2010

Hello Janet,

In my experience, there are loads of tools, but you can usually get 80% -
90% of the problem by checking a few basics.

1) 12 GB is great, so you are probably only using 2-3 gb, check this and if
it is the case, forget about SQL Server. on the other hand of something is
using 9 - 10 gb you have a suspect.
  (I doubt it)

2) Using plain old taskmgr , check what process is using most of your
processing power - something is.  Identify that process and kill it.  Does
your machine come back to life?

Until these two steps are complete, I would not complicate matters, it will
be a simple problem and easy to fix, once you identify the culprit.

I had a problem last year with McAfee AV and is was running a process that
was killing the UI, I could not kill it, but could reboot, and once it was
re-booted, it was OK.

In summary,

have you approx 9 GB ram free?
on average is 99% of CPU resources free?

Thanks

Mark