[dba-Tech] Rainbow tables

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:17:39 CST 2010

Leading with my chin here, but I thought that binary chops were the fastest
possible search algo.

http://www.adit.co.uk/html/binary_chop.html

"Well this could be improved and/or simplified in many cases depending upon
the data being searched and the nature of the array. The function could also
be written as a general purpose tool with the array to be searched being
passed as well as the search value - well if we ever see a truly object
oriented VB to implement it in."

"The algorithm
"Although the basic idea of binary search is comparatively straightforward,
the details can be surprisingly tricky." - Professor Donald Knuth

When Jon Bentley assigned it as a problem in a course for professional
programmers, he found that an astounding ninety percent failed to code a
binary search correctly after several hours of working on it[3], and another
study shows that accurate code for it is only found in five out of twenty
textbooks (Kruse, 1999). Furthermore, Bentley's own implementation of binary
search, published in his 1986 book Programming Pearls, contains an error
that remained undetected for over twenty years.[4]" Wikipedia

max