[dba-Tech] Web site (was: Once and for all time: server backups)

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 16 11:47:10 CST 2010

Your site is excellent...

I agree with Gustav on his comments though.

What costs most and takes longest in any web site is the graphics and the
design, especially if the client has a specific concept in mind. I find that
the assembly of a layout, for a site may only take an evening but arriving
at the right layout may take a few of days and the graphics can take a long
time especially if they have to be processed in Photoshop... last site I did
took over a week to do the graphics... Then there is documentation that is
associated the graphics as well as over-view docs... Some sites like some
eye-candy like a nice Flash header... Now if the client wants the ability to
keep the site fresh by being able to add and change graphics and doc that
can be a lot more time. I have seen trivial sites take 2 weeks or more to do
and the client has to be billed appropriately.

On the other hand all businesses these days need a web presents whether they
believe it or not. It is like the old 'Yellow' page ad or business card all
rolled into one and that is not counting the online shopping potential.