[dba-Tech] Once and for all time: server backups

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 06:37:39 CST 2010

Hello Gustav,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this up and let us all
know.

Gbridge looks great, I currently have Hamachi installed in quite a few
machines now, but I will keep Gbridge in mind for my next remote link, if
for no other reason, than to try out another tool / set of tools.

Thanks also for the intro to second copy.

I have to install two 1 TB USB disks this week as alternating off site
backups.  As the data is sensitive, I am in the process of creating 1 TG
encrypted volumes - it takes 16 hours each.

I then have to figure out the best / simplest way to mirror one folder on
the customers Win2K3 server machine.

Options are

DeltaCopy
SyncToy
SecondCopy
GBridge (maybe but I do not need the remote facilities)
MS Windows Backup

No MS Exchange and no MS SQL Serer

The data I am backing up is approx 20 GB, so I have the storage options or
preparing - like the olden days with tapes - a daily, Friday 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
 and Monthly and Annual backup sets.  This would give step back
possibilities.

It is low budget - I want to complete 100% the task in one day including
showing the customer how it all works and that it is easy to understand and
use.

Any thoughts anyone?

thanks

Mark