[dba-Tech] IE 6 and the rest

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 13 12:16:18 CDT 2010

I wrote one app in DotNet but when it was finally running trying to fix
things caused some issues.

It took days to work through all the various classes and time was of an
essence. It ended up taken too long just to do the simplest things... (I
have not mastered C# and that will probably take a while.) The program ran
so much slower as much of the functionality runs back at the server end.

Most of my current apps use as much JavaScript, JQuery, CSS, AJAX etc as
possible. I have a cluster of re-useable C# components, (I have begged
borrowed and stolen as I have been phasing out all the ASP stuff) that I
would call a connection interface framework and then everything else I build
into the SQL BE as a series of SPs... many which are again re-useable. It is
my attempt at building a truly distributive system.

When my understanding of C# is better I might again go back hacking and
mashing apps together using DNN.

Client's put as much emphasis (more) on user interface so being able to
produce good graphics, excellent layouts and smooth transitions is as
important as a BE. Clients will pay 10 times as much for a good layout... so
guess where most of my time placed?

Right now too much of my time is involved with hardware and BE installs so
my studying will have to wait until the fall. ;-)