[dba-Tech] Software Behind FaceBook

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 21 11:36:56 CDT 2010

The FaceBook site is by far the largest single database in the world. The
amount of data that this organization moves daily is almost on an
unimaginable scale.

The interesting point is that all the software they use is open-source.
There are a number of fabulous packages they use.

I had set up a site with Erlan a while back but simply ran out of time (the
curse of the working man) and space to get the product fully operational and
am now preparing to get a group project together to implement Cassandra but
not until this fall at the earliest... we are planning a business around
this implementation. I have already downloaded HipHop for PHP and done some
testing... I just do not have enough PHP code to really test this app as
what is faster than instantaneous...

The following link is fascinating; with a list of software that you too
could use to create another FaceBook sized application or just build a super
fast website of your own:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2010/06/18/the-software-behind-facebook/

Check it out...