[dba-Tech] IDEs may be too much

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 1 11:31:05 CST 2010

Are we too dependant on IDEs?

I do a variety of programming and still support some of the older command
like interfaces and sometimes them are quiet refreshing to work in... Isn't
that right Stuart?

I have a large older client that their entire main application has been
carefully hand written. It runs super fast and when it fails we replace the
hardware. Their main POS application has been running 24x7 for over 20
years. The app does have a nice interface but once under the hood... it is
all hand coded.

Here is an interesting link and the author writes to the question of IDEs:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/28/ides_versus_the_people