[dba-Tech] Symantec Backup Exec

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 31 08:07:51 CDT 2010

Hi Max:

When it comes to doing an image backup I personally use DriveImageXML
imbedded in a version of BartsPE distro. Because it is so important to get
the image right and to be able to confidentially know that the image will
create a perfect booting drive, I stick with slightly dated system.

The one type of drive that can not be imaged correctly is some drive that
has used data compression...but not even Acronis can do that, counter to
their claims.

In most cases when it comes to backing up a clients systems beyond that I
use what ever they have locally which in most cases turns out to be their MS
backup. That is because I have great concerns when it comes to proprietary
systems. In many cases, a custom package ends up costing continuous updates,
which do not get maintained or/and do not end up being used properly by the
local staff and the original media has a habit of getting lost...etc.

Most sites are really very stable, especially when it comes to servers.
Major updates are done in blocks and then a new image. After that the data
is most important and to that I have been working with a friend to implement
a remote backup service... $79.00 a month up to 500GB and this uses the new
LogMeIn backup service... uses a distributive synchronization method. (Only
backing up data changes so it is very fast.)

I tend to wear suspender and a belt when it comes to backups and very
conservative on what software I use... I only use software that I have
watched complete a successful restoration.