[dba-Tech] Symantec Backup Exec

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 31 11:42:18 CDT 2010

I worked for the government in a number of different capacities. In one of
my middle evolutions my contract job was to build various applications in
FoxPro, Access and a bunch of other strange languages.

A new and wonderful product (and I can not remember its name as I never
touched it) emerged as the backup system of choice and it was picked by all
the ministries. It had an extensive librarian system designed in the backup
module so not only could it do flawless backups you could trace every
version...complete version control was the mantra of the day. The output as
you would expect was massive, so massive that a department was setup to just
handle backups.

Then a major server crash. It seems that the air-conditioning system flooded
a computer room. For some reason many of the drive controllers failed, some
could not be replaced as they were discontinued product lines and the system
had to be brought up immediately. So new computers were bought but they
could not read the old drives... No problem there was always the backups.

It was discovered that many of the backups would not work especially the
older ones. It seemed that their prize backup software company had been
improving their product all along and at one point it was no more backward
compatible.

In summary, it took months to resolve, the backup product was decommissioned
and the government reverted either to, backing up with the Microsoft backup
systems or ran everything through their UNIX servers. At least in the
Linux/Unix world there are some standards and most systems are
OpenSource...and most importantly open source code... and never again
proprietary backup systems.