[dba-Tech] Interesting languages

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu May 27 09:47:05 CDT 2010

Have you ever wondered about some of the programming languages out there?
Why were they created and what are they for. Most seem to have been created
by a team of post graduate programmers who were writing a thesis but most
were developed in-house by a project team for a specific mechanical,
engineering or scientific purpose...and escaped.

When I seemed to have more time and more energy I would constantly
downloading and playing with one of these languages or other and even ending
up inflicting some client with a POS application that probably only a
handful of people in the world know what they are looking at. It is fun but
it is not fair... in the long run... I doubt whether I will live much over a
hundred and then they will be truly screwed.

When I say "Interesting languages", I am not talking about various .Net
flavour, think beyond that; beyond Python or Ruby...think outer edges of the
solar system. The following is a list of a few of the esoteric programming
languages...more fun than Sudoku: ;-)

http://matt.might.net/articles/best-programming-languages/

Enjoy