[dba-Tech] Excel validation question

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 17:00:13 CDT 2010

I'm trying to limit a cell to values between .01 and 100 -- I've tried a number of combos for the minimum and maximum limits (using Data Validation), but nothing seems to top out that top number. If I use between .01 and 100, it only allows decimals, as I expected. Using .01 and 100.99 allows any number, even values of 100.99, which confuses me.

For now, I'm using =IsNumber() in a custom rule -- eliminates text and that's all I'm really after.

I'd be interested to know why 100.99 (above) allows any value -- I expected it to object to 101 and over, but it doesn't

Susan H.