[dba-Tech] So how do you automate imaging?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Sep 10 21:00:31 CDT 2010

I've been using it for the last  couple of years inside Access to create correctly sized images
for websites.

Pages such as http://www.sre.com.pg/sre_aptmt_sales.html  are automatically updated in an
Access Real Estate application.  A single button click  creates and uploads any new PDF
brochures and image files and then builds and uploads the html page.

Here's a typical Access function to create the thumbnail and zoom image for each property
from the original photo.

Function CreateWebPic(Image As String) As Boolean
Dim strConvert As String
Dim strShell As String
Dim strWebPic As String
Dim stroriginal As String
Dim strEffect As String
Dim strThumbEffect As String
Dim strThumbPic As String
strConvert = """c:\program files\imagemagick-6.5.3-q16\Convert"" "
strEffect = "  -thumbnail 600x600 "
strThumbEffect = "  -thumbnail 200x200 "
stroriginal = """" & BEDir() & "photos\" & Image & """"
strWebPic = """" & BEDir & "webphotos\" & Image & """"
strThumbPic = """" & BEDir & "webphotos\tn_" & Image & """"
strShell = strConvert & stroriginal & strThumbEffect & strThumbPic
ShellWait strShell, vbHide
strShell = strConvert & stroriginal & strEffect & strWebPic
ShellWait strShell, vbHide
End Function