[dba-Tech] Not Sure Quite What I'm Dealing With Here

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Thu Apr 28 10:45:26 CDT 2011

Okay, I've got a situation with a computer that is giving me fits.

Symptoms:
1)  Windows update won't - clicking the update link generates an
hourglass, then, nothing.
2)  Windows installer won't - trying to install anything generates the
message that the installer cannot be accessed.
3)  Windows installer apparently tries to start when any icon on the
desktop is right-clicked.
4)  At startup, a message appears saying that Vipre reports it is not
running.
5)  Computer lost its wireless connection to the printer.
Symptoms 1 and 5 might suggest loss of all connectivity - not so!
Internet access still available.  Network access to shared folders on
other computers is still available.

Other issues have been discovered as we go along, but these are the
immediately visible symptoms.

Before I go into the things I have tried, and what has worked for how
long, and what hasn't worked at all, I thought I'd ask you guys if this
constellation of symptoms rings any bells.  Do you recognize these
difficulties?  Do you have any helpful suggestions?

This is the family computer for my kids Cheryl and Brad, and their
kids.  Lots of email, IM-ing, games, etc.  About three months ago, it
crashed - I suspected HD failure.  I got it revived with Spin-Rite
(John, your advice that I should purchase that program was spot on and
has served me well ever since!!!).

I have lots more to tell about this adventure - 5 pages of handwritten
notes, so far.  Thanks for your assistance.