[dba-Tech] Not Sure Quite What I'm Dealing With Here - Update 2

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat Apr 30 08:55:39 CDT 2011

[Continued from Update 1]

Having cleaned out the 54 infected items with MalwareBytes, I went back
to trying to install Vipre.  Guess what!  Right back to "the Windows
installer cannot be accessed."

I gave another go to the unregistering and reregistering trick.  No
joy.  Tried another update - back to the houglass followed by nothing!

Found some more information on repairing the windows update agent -
downloaded WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe from
support.microsot.com/KG/946929, and following instructions, placed it in
the root, then ran it with the /wuforce switch.  This did not fix the
problem.  Yes, I rebooted - it did not fix the problem.

Another bit of advice was to use the WinXP CD, and from the command line
run sfc /scannow - to verify whether all the protected Windows files are
intact and in their original versions.  Reboot.  Attempt to install
Vipre - "installer cannot be accessed."

Next, I booted from the WinXP CD and ran the Repair Install.  After
that, I tried again to go to Windows Update to bring this fresh
installation of WinXP SP2 up to date, especially to get SP3 installed.
Failed - hourglass, followed by nothing.  I ran
WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce again - it failed with error
0x80070020.  However, not I was able to reach the update site, with
error 0x8.DDD0007 message that I must restart the computer before
getting any more updates - turn off and install 5 updates.

Next, I did a Windows update search for ServicePack 3 - found and
downloaded the ISO image file
xpsp3_5512.080413-2113_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso, with which I created my SP3
update CD.  I ran the SP3 update.  It did not complete - update.exe
extended error code = 0xf200.  Received instruction to run dcomcnfg,
attempting to verify DCOM security - expand Component Services >
Computers.  When I attempted to expand the Computers folder, the whole
Component Services window disappeared.  I repeated that effort enough
times to note that it happened consistently.  I opened Admin Tools in
the Control Panel, Computer Management - there is no entry for Local
Users & Groups.

I tried the SP3 update CD again.  This time it said it did the job.

But, Windows Installer is still not accessed, so I still cannot
re-install Vipre.  Clicking Windows Update link still produces an
hourglass and nothing more.

Tried the hotfix for WindowsXP-KB942288-V3-x86.exe again, after making
sure it was unblocked.  Reboot.  Try to install Vipre.  Installer cannot
be accessed.
Tried the hotfix for WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce, after making
sure it was unblocked.  Install failed with error 0x8007041d.

Going directly to the windows update site, rather than trying to connect
through the link, I get through the "checking your system for the latest
software" screen, to the "Express" or "Custom" install screen - where no
matter which choice I select, I get the message to reset my Internet
Security options - error 0x800A0046.  I check those settings and they
are correct - they match exactly what I am instructed to set.  Even if I
unset them and Apply - and reset them and Apply - with or without IE
restarts - I get the same message from Windows Update.  The update
window acknowledges that the computer is set for automatic updates -
yet, it will not allow me to do any updates.

I've decided to go back to the beginning.  I'm running Spin-Rite on the
computer right now, at level 4.  Once I get that finished, I'll do
another Repair Install, followed immediately by an SP3 update, and see
what I have at that point.  I'll keep you advised.  I'll welcome and
appreciate any more thoughts you guys have on this.

Thanks,