[dba-Tech] Cross post - Password security

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Aug 11 16:08:03 CDT 2011

Your systems guy has missed the point.   It is only easily cracked if the password rules are
"must be  four english words" and the attacker knows that fact.

If the rules are "use any mixture of upper and lower case, digits and special characters" then
your private choice to concatenate several words makes it easier to remember without
making it easier to crack.  In that situation, ManBearPig or manbearpig is just as secure as
M*aBbbbP11.

--
Stuart