[dba-Tech] gmail & privacy

Peter Brawley peter.brawley at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 30 03:56:01 CST 2011

On 12/30/2011 2:06 AM, Gustav Brock wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> Don't forget the old saying, that sending an e-mail is like sending an open postcard.
> It really is that simple

Not at all that simple: the postman or neighbourhood kids reading my
postcard (like people nearby hearing a personal conversation on a train)
is a far cry from a global corporation mining everyone's electronic
postcards to track their lives. That's Orwell's concept of Big Brother
implemented by corporations.

> but people seem to forget.
> For example, many - even enterprises - use external services for spam filtering. What can these services do other than reading your mail and take a decision wether it is spam or malware or good mail? In this process, all your mail may be exposed for any one at that service completely out of your control.
>
> If you wish to e-mail anything in privacy, encrypt the content or move it to an encrypted attachment.

Sure. The question is whether there's a need for regulation of practices
like Google's.

PB

-----