[dba-Tech] Trying to revive a computer

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 16 18:05:29 CST 2011

I think your idea of running Spinwrite is a great idea as it sound like you
hard drive is failing.

I was looking at a discount place and they had Dell computers, 1 GB RAM and
XP home...no idea what the hard drive size is but the price was $88. With
these sorts of prices around it seems hardly worth wasting time on.

OTOH, Tina, your comments suggest a HD failure and if you want to save the
drive for its contents, run Spinwrite and when the drive is recovered, image
the drive with a bootable CD with something like DriveImage XML, install a
new drive then re-image it back and use EASEUS Partition Master to clean up
and re-partition the new drive. Reboot and you're done.

It is a little more complex than that of course but if you have the tools it
will take about an hours worth of your time but a couple days computer time.