[dba-Tech] WMA catalog

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 14:36:43 CDT 2011

Recently, due to a link posted here, I got steered (thanks!) to a site by
somebody named Kennedy (can't find the reference while emailing, but he
offered an XLS file that could grab all the MP3s in a named folder and all
its subfolders. I wonder if anyone has something that can do the same for
WMA files rather than MP3 files (i.e. walk the selected folder and all its
subfolders and slide all found entries into a folder listing all the tracks'
attributes in a spreadsheet; or even better, directly into a spreadsheet).

All these requirements said, what said Folder-Walker is likely to find are
numerous entries of the same title(s). Most often this occurs in the
Classical and Jazz genres, and occasionally in R&R covers, though that is
the slimmest case. Much more likely, the Walker would find several (about 9
and counting) versions of various Beethoven, Mozart, Mingus, Monk tunes, and
some of these are "crossover", as when Kronos Quartet plays Monk.

I have about 20GB of music recorded, which falls into several broad genres,
the least-populated of which is "Recent Pop" -- not to cast aspersions on
this sector of the music world, but simply to say that I have about 20
recordings on file of "The Rite of Spring", "The Four Seasons", "Cello
Sonatas by Beethoven", and not to mention about 200 CDs worth of classical
Indian music which are of interest by Rag/Tal/Players. All of this is
recorded as WMAs.

So the questions are two:

1. Can I convert these to MP3, and in said conversion is anything (other
than complicity with the spreadsheet) achieved. Lossiness is not an option.
2. Is there some way to catalog all these WMA files into an XL spreadsheet
or Access db and grab all the salient documentation features?

Forgive me for choosing the Windows default. I am prepared to convert all
the WMA files to MP3 but don't know how. But I would like to catalog that .5
TB of music that occupies space on my Hard Disks, and to create a catalog so
that I can do things like search for every occurrence of "Martha My Dear" or
"Epistrophy" or :"Coltrane" or "Piano Sonatas" and auto-create lists of all
these tracks by genre, composer, etc.

Can anyone provide help in how to do this? In the ideal world, I would end
up with an Access db which I could then export|import into anything I want,
from an initial destination of XL or CSV or other format.

Arthur