[dba-Tech] vpn

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 28 07:05:15 CDT 2011

Hi Martin:

A quick one from memory... Control Panel > Network connections > Advanced >
Advanced Setting > ... and you should see a list of all your network
connections in their order of selection. If your VPN connection is active
and first, in the list, that will be the first choice when your computer is
starting up.

But note: If you are connecting to a local computer and the system deems
that one connection is more efficient than another it will default. (I have
observed this... for example; on a laptop, went more than one connections
option is available; a connected cable will be the choice even though
wireless option is the first in the list.)

If you wish to guarantee only the VPN connection would be used when more
that one choice is physically and actively available the other competing
option may have to be temporarily turned off. As my work laptop is a rover
it has almost a dozen choices for various clients and most of them are
usually turned off.

HTH