[dba-Tech] Another Puzzle - computer doesn't boot all the way

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat May 14 09:49:22 CDT 2011

Hello Friends,

Well, since we've solved the puzzle for the Fields-Family computer, I
can get back to one I was working on earlier.

The patient is an IBM NetVista computer.  I have a family member with
access to a sort of electronics junkyard, where discarded items go, many
of which are still quite usable, but may need a little updating, and
most of which have been discarded simply to make room for newer
equipment.  The NetVista computer came from that source.  The operating
system is WinXP SP3 - I did the installation of the operating system - I
set up the user accounts - I installed OpenOffice software - I installed
Vipre -I was working on the updates for all the software and the OS, and
all seemed to be fine until I got to one of the final updates and had to
reboot the system, and it wouldn't reboot.

I don't have the same detailed notes on this that I make when I know I'm
dealing with a puzzle - I thought this was working perfectly - so, the
sequence of events is no longer clear.  However, the POST was wrong -
rather than the single beep, there was a series of beeps (4 or 5 in a
row).  Looking up what that might mean, I found what I thought was the
most likely culprit - a failing power supply.  If it doesn't send a good
power signal, the system won't boot.  So, I bought a nice new power
supply - the precise model called for by the NetVista specs - and
installed it.  Booted right up.  Yay!  I continued working on the full
setup of this machine, and had it running for probably an hour when I
got to another reboot - and it wouldn't.  Same exact symptom.  The power
comes on, the initial screen is displayed, and nothing more happens at
all.  I put the computer aside for a while, because I had other things
to tend to.

A month later I came back to the sleuthing.  Could be the CR2032
battery, after all, the machine is ancient.  So, I replaced that.
Booted right up.  Yay!  Continue setting things up just the way I will
want them for a student computer in my little classroom.  The system
seems to be running just fine, until I reach another needed restart.
Won't boot.  Same exact symptom.  Power on, initial screen is displayed,
and nothing more happens at all, no matter how long I wait - waited five
hours just to be sure.

So, I think there is a thermal issue here.  When the computer warms up,
the reboot does not work.  If I let the sucker sit for a week, it'll
probably boot for me again just fine.

Now, one of the NetVistas I already had running reliably, has developed
the same apparent symptom.  Reboot starts, but hangs at the display of
the opening screen.

Have you seen this symptom?  Is it likely a thermal issue?  Does it
sound like a failing solder joint?  Does it sound like a failing
switch?  Any ideas?

Thanks,