[dba-Tech] Remote Desktop on a server

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:18:42 CDT 2011

Jim,

>> The beauty of the whole scenario is that the OpenDNS is that you can always get into your home/office site regardless if the IP address ever changes. <<

I dig.  It does, indeed, sound similar to the service that DynDNS.org
provides.  At least for personal workstations, DynDNS.org provides
software that senses a change in a dynamic IP address and sends the
new address to DynDNS.org.

>> I have no idea what the issues are at your site but if it is as you explain;
no validation or VPN services are being used during connect times then there
is something wrong. If you are not connecting to the Host office site
directly and not going through a DNS VPN server then it is hardly the fault
of the of your DNS services. <<

Not looking to place blame.  I'm just confused as to what is
happening.  The network guy (who is incommunicado) set up my client's
HP server to do everything: file server, DNS server, DHCP server,
Terminal Server, VPN Server, Domain Controller, WINS server...the
whole ball of wax.  Not being well-versed in Windows Server 2003, I've
been trying to pick it up as I go along.  My feeling is that the
network guy didn't set the server up properly himself...especially
with respect to the VPN.

Thanks for your insights.  It does appear that I'll need to recommend
that the owner of the company find someone who can evaluate what's
going on.

Regards,

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI