[dba-Tech] Why is IE6 still here?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 7 11:20:10 CST 2011

IE6 has been the bane of most web developers for years and has cost
companies collectively millions of dollars as extra fee that have to be
charged every time IE6 has to be supported.

So why does IE6 still exist? In one, word "Asia".

See the link to the following article:
http://www.troyhunt.com/2010/08/aye-pirates-be-reason-ie6-just-wont-die.html

The one point that the article does not mention is that the current Windows
adoptions, per package runs at about $400.00 (Interestingly, an OEM version
is about $50 and sold with a computer sells for $400.00). All the countries
that have not adopted the latest versions of Windows are doing so as the
entrance fee for the product is somewhere around 6 months salary, for most
of Asia or the price of a car or down payment on a house.

Aside: I do wonder why the Asian market has not just abandoned Windows
products and adopted Linux as the OS of choice as FireFox has become the
world-wide browser of choice...but that is another question that I do not
have any answers for. If anyone else has, any ideas I would love to hear
them.