[dba-Tech] Barnes & Noble Exposes Microsoft's "Trivial" Patents and Strategy Against Android

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Wed Nov 16 01:32:11 CST 2011

Things are about to get quite interesting. It's about time we find out what exactly Microsoft has been asserting that it has patents over.

"Barnes & Noble has done the world a tremendous favor,  by pulling aside the curtain and revealing Microsoft's patent campaign tactics against Android in lurid detail.

It reveals the assertion of "trivial" and "invalid" patents against Barnes & Noble and some shocking details about an "oppressive" license agreement that would have controlled hardware and software design features that Microsoft presented,  thus limiting to what degree Barnes & Noble could offer upgrades and improved features to its customers if it had signed it,  features it says none of Microsoft's patents cover. Microsoft worked so hard to keep it all secret,  and I think you'll see why. It's ugly behind that curtain."

- Hans