[dba-Tech] What got you interested in technology? IT's rich andfamous share their memories

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 18 20:15:01 CST 2011

1967....so you were helping with landing men on the moon? Who were you
working for? I did not get into computers until 10 or 11 years later.

FORTRAN was a great program. No other program ever exceeded its ability to
do a core dump of 200 pages, becuase of a single misplaced or missing
period. That is why there was always a senior tech on site when ever there
was a seies compiling to be done...so they could kill a run-a-way process on
the main frame. ;-)

But it was fast... And it was great for teaching Octal math used for
calculating varibale offsets in the common block. I must say I was actually
quite good at it. ;-)