[dba-Tech] Steve Balmer's nightmare

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Thu Nov 24 19:06:04 CST 2011

There is something comical about the iPad being somehow the straw that would precipitate a series of events that would eventually break the camels back. Like some super villainous plan of Steve Jobs that took him years and years in a dark room to concoct.

But, to be honest, it was a self fulfilling prophesy. Microsoft as a business never understood its own consumers. What they were good at was understanding how to sell to businesses and corporations and governments. And for a long time, what was good for the goose was good for the gander. But thats all changing now with these fancy desirable devices and Microsoft is always late to the game (the first serious WP7 phones are coming out a good 5-6 years late?).

They can't keep trying to spread themselves too thin as they are, which means they will have to accept that they cannot keep growing profits for their shareholders with its current business strategy, which is always painful, but IBM made it in the end, did they not? They are still massively profitable and they sold off lots of their assets (although the sale of ThinkPad to Lenovo will always bring a tear to my eye).

- Hans