[dba-Tech] The Semantic Web

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon Oct 3 03:09:23 CDT 2011

Welcome to the realm of fuzzy logic and neural networks, where suddenly you realize just how much more powerful the human brain is compared to a computer and the only way for computers to compare is by having excellent statistical/probabilistic algorithms. Unfortunately, computers are quite poor at comprehending context, because they know nothing about human nature.

My understanding of the semantic web, however, is not so much about the web understanding a context so much as the web developing a meta-layer (one not relevant to humans but more for computers), which can easily combine and associate information that computers would otherwise not know was related. A means for computers to talk to each other to build "context". Blogs do this by means of tags and such, but it is still relatively immature. Is this somewhat what you are referring to or are you implying something else - something more complex in nature?

- Hans