[dba-Tech] FW: Amazon Kindle Fire spies on your internet traffic

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Oct 3 10:40:03 CDT 2011

"If you're concerned with online privacy, I simply wouldn't use the Silk
browser in its full mode. To Amazon's credit, you can opt out of Silk's
cloud-enhanced mode. To quote Amazon, "You can also choose to operate Amazon
Silk in basic or 'off-cloud' mode."

Paranoia is great. Does anyone really think that Apple gives the same
consideration with the Mac/iPhone/iPod/iPad? Since they pretty much force
you to use Apple services by setting them as defaults, for almost
everything, they are collecting data about everyone in a much more succinct
manner. They are an inline hardware/OS/software/service and sales stack.
Amazon finally joins them in that stack (although it isn't as complete as
Apple's) and immediately they get smashed for it. If only Amazon had thought
to form a technological cult for protection from this kind of slander (like
Apple did ;o) I wonder if this article was written on a Mac.

While I also don't trust any large corporation, I realize that as soon as I
connect to a web site my ISP (presently AT&T) know about it. I can't think
of a large corporation I trust less.