[dba-Tech] VMware vSphere Hypervisor (was: Ram Usage)

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Sep 18 13:55:14 CDT 2011

Hi Mark

Thanks! Don't know why I couldn't locate that link.
Anyway, it seems that the ESXi has been rebranded and it supports 32 GB ram.

/gustav

>>> marklbreen at gmail.com 18-09-2011 17:10 >>>
Hi Gustav,

A few things to report since Friday night.

I downloaded and installed vSphere on to bare metal.  Whole process took not
more than 15 mins.
I used a program named UnBootin to create a bootable USB Stick from the ISO
image so I do not have to mess around with old fashioned CDs.  UnBootin
works really great.
I have registered and requested an licence key from VMware and have recieved
it, but I have not entered it yet, because for some reason, I only requested
1 and I am anxious not to waste it in case I struggle to get another.
 Having said that, I can apply with a different email and I suppose they
will just give me another few.

You can read all about the free vShpere
here<http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/faq.html>

When I enter the key, and if it works, I will let you know.

Once I did the 15 mins to get the image, make a bootable USB from the ISO
and then boot the machine, I installed it all on a little AMD Phenon II quad
core machine I happpen to have here.  The dos type screen just has a few
settings to set your network values.  It can do nothing else.  The next step
is to download and install the Vmware client tools which are amazing.

Once I did that I kicked off three VM's (Ubuntu, XP and Win7), told VMWare
to allocate 4 GB each, and powered them up (My little AMD box only has 4 gb
in total) but VMware can dynamically allocate the RAM - really cool stuff.

I have some more playing to do with it, but for now, I am shocked at how
good it is and would never again consider playing with Virtual PC or Win2k8
and its HyperV.

BTW, I am trying to learn a little about Linux as well at the moment, Natty
Narwhal !

Mark