[dba-Tech] RAM Terminology

DJK (John) Robinson djkr at msn.com
Tue Sep 27 17:11:50 CDT 2011

Hi Arthur

Here's my 2c.  Go to the Crucial website www.crucial.com - from the system in question.  Use the Crucial System Scanner Tool to "Scan My Computer".  Allow and run the download.

*Nearly* always, it will identify your motherboard accurately, together with what RAM is installed and what empty slots you have.  You probably already know all this so far, *but* crucially(!) it tells you what kinds of RAM are compatible, whether ECC or not, CLs, PCxy00s, DDRz00s, etc etc, and *guarantees* compatibility.

Of course you don't have to buy from Crucial.

HTH
John