[dba-Tech] Router connectivity robustness

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 2 00:28:14 CDT 2012

Hi Steve:

I would not recommend the Dlink DIR-655. There are some coding errors and it
can not upgraded as it now has the latest official release, no more are
being made and any OSS router software will not install on this unit as it
has a very unique design...and not in a good way.

A leading edge product, for its day, is not always fully tested. This router
has some bugs that would block certain IP address...it is also not very
stable. Here is a link to the latest and greatest routers:

http://wireless-router-review.toptenreviews.com/

There are some impressive claims from some of the proponents of the Tomato
and DD-WRT OSS for routers If you have an old router you are replacing it
anyway it might be worth giving it a try and a facelift...the worse you
could do is "brick" it but if you backup the firmware no problem:
http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-your-60-router-into-a-user+friendly-super+
router-with-tomato

...and can download and install the new firmware from:
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

There are also a group of other router firmware replacements out there all
with addition features, accelerate performance and stability claims:
DD-WRT
FreeWRT
HyperWRT
Thibor
OpenWRT
Tarifa
X-Wrt

Another piece of software you should download and use when checking out your
router, local competition for bandwidth and the signal strength of your
current computer, would be InSSider from:
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

...and for your Android Smartphone try Amped wireless then you can check out
the best locations for placing your wireless router by simply strolling
around the house.

One last point: Your performance issues may not be anything to do with your
current equipment. It seems that many ISPs are compressing bandwidth so they
can add more subscribers on a their network without the expense of adding
new lines or equipment. This issue can cause signal drop.