[dba-Tech] The state of the web

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 5 20:39:56 CST 2012

I think you are very correct.

The following graph says it all and the main reason for Microsoft's sudden
launch forward with a totally new environment, Win8.

http://tinyurl.com/d4udbk2

It clearly shows that iOS and particularly Android, has wiped out
Microsoft's decade of dominance, in which MS held about 90 to 95 percent of
the personal computer market but in three short years, they lost over 50
percent of their market share.

Whether this trend will continue unchallenged or whether MS will rise to the
challenge is still a question. The next three years will say it all, success
or oblivion. Periods like this are always best as there is always a lot of
good innovation from all sectors of computing market.

At this time, I think it is best for developers to keep away from making any
firm commitments to any particular hardware and OS platforms and rather
stick to Open Source and Open Standard products where at all possible.