[dba-Tech] The state of the web

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Thu Dec 6 00:12:42 CST 2012

In my opinion, I think Microsoft has yet farther to fall before they make a come back. I don't see anything particularly ground breaking coming from them, only them catching up with Android/iOS and trying to out-Apple Apple themselves in various ways (ie. Microsoft Store). But it doesn't really suit them. Just makes them look awkward.

There are a few exceptions, of course. For instance, Microsoft is doing a fantastic job with their Xbox console in transforming it into a home entertainment centre, so kudos to them about that. But, I can't help but wonder whether the Xbox's successes are a result of being somewhat partitioned from all the other warring fiefdoms that exist at Microsoft (Windows, MS Office, etc) and probably a more hands-off approach from Steve Ballmer.

I really think Microsoft just needs to get rid of Ballmer. He's an ineffective CEO in this new era and it shows. Also, from what I hear, the MS Office team has just got way too much say over everyone else.

Hans