[dba-Tech] The state of the web

Salakhetdinov Shamil mcp2004 at mail.ru
Thu Dec 6 05:10:50 CST 2012

Hi Hans and Jim --

Have you seen that stats:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/04/analyst-just-25-developers-grabbed-50-of-app-revenues-on-u-s-app-store-google-play-last-month-earning-60m-between-them/

?

AFAIS mobile apps are still mainly game apps and (IMO) WinPhone 7.5/8 and Windows RT/Surface do still have good chances to become widely used in business apps.
We will see. But 30% mobile market share in three-five years seems to be almost guaranteed to MS...
And as you say "Microsoft is doing fantastic job with Xbox" so adapting that experience to MS mobile, using mobile devices together with Xbox should make MS positions even stronger?

Thank you.

-- Shamil

Среда,  5 декабря 2012, 22:12  от Hans-Christian Andersen <hans.andersen at phulse.com>:

In my opinion, I think Microsoft has yet farther to fall before they make a come back. I don't see anything particularly ground breaking coming from them, only them catching up with Android/iOS and trying to out-Apple Apple themselves in various ways (ie. Microsoft Store). But it doesn't really suit them. Just makes them look awkward.

There are a few exceptions, of course. For instance, Microsoft is doing a fantastic job with their Xbox console in transforming it into a home entertainment centre, so kudos to them about that. But, I can't help but wonder whether the Xbox's successes are a result of being somewhat partitioned from all the other warring fiefdoms that exist at Microsoft (Windows, MS Office, etc) and probably a more hands-off approach from Steve Ballmer.

I really think Microsoft just needs to get rid of Ballmer. He's an ineffective CEO in this new era and it shows. Also, from what I hear, the MS Office team has just got way too much say over everyone else.

Hans