[dba-Tech] How to get Dropbox to run when Windows Server 2008 R2 is not logged in

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 06:05:17 CST 2012

Hello All,

I use Dropbox on a few machines now as an off site backup.  It works well
most of the time.

I pay $238 to have 100 GB available which is great value IMO.

It have installed it on Win 2008 R2 and it also works well as long as a
user is logged in.

It even works if the user is remote desktopped in, however it does not work
if nobody is logged in.  I have found pages and pages of stuff about how to
convert it to a service, but I cannot get it to work.

I even sent a request to DB but they sent me an email a week later to say
they were inundated with support requests and would not be dealing with it
now.

Has anyone any experience of using Dropbox on a server?  If not, what are
you using for your server off site backups to cloud solutions ?

thanks

Mark