[dba-Tech] Computer

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 26 07:07:55 CST 2012

I would not look forward to building a career on the premise that the
"Walled Garden" OS designs of Apple and now Windows is in a distant future.

Apple approach to have absolute control and the billing for everything that
appears on their desktop has been extremely successful. Microsoft is now
following a tied and true approach and they now see the "easy" access to the
desktop as a disadvantage.

The new approach in design leaves little reason for Tech Support involvement
as unless a Tech is managing extended networks, servers or proprietary
software, support is not needed.

Here is the link to a good article on the subject:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/06/dont_bet_on_microsoft/

My suggestion for the future is to diversify in OS support; do not become or
remain dependant on Microsoft/Apple for your bread and butter and focus more
on broad based infrastructure, server, database and even web-support skills.