[dba-Tech] NoSQL is a movement not so much a choice or a technology

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 9 11:15:22 CST 2012

I have read and listened to many articles and even dabbled in (not
necessarily successfully...yet) in the new world of NoSQL (or more
accurately Map reduce) type databases.

These new structures are making us reassess the way we define data. The
rules of ACID (Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability) no longer
apply, at least not in the way we have learned or have been taught. The new
rules can be described as CAP (Consistency, Availability,
Partition-tolerance).

Below is a link to a very thoughtful article, not one a busy person could
read through quickly and fully understand but as the article probably took
weeks to write maybe it should take a few days to read.

http://radar.oreilly.com/2012/02/nosql-non-relational-database.html