[dba-Tech] NoSQL is a movement not so much a choice or a technology

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 10 17:46:21 CST 2012

Stuart:

RDBMS has always been logical and easy to learn. (The concept not
necessarily the application.)

OTOH the NoSQL systems fills a gap in database requirements (Explained in a

Recommending banks of SSDs cards to leverage RDBMSs so they will come close
to equaling map-reduce/distributive performance using the current most
expensive solution to give SQL DBs the ability to compete against some
cheapest solutions, seems like madness to me.

I know this fellow in town who is doing some playing in his basement with a
MondoDB(?) distributive database. He literally scavenged a dozen old
computer boxes on the way to the Salvation Army recycling bins and assembled
a pretty fair database system. (Very fast he says.)

It is flaky as all get out and there are a number of issues to resolve but
he is working with discarded junk and he has no idea what he is doing but
that is this month. (His only costs are going to be electricity and grey
hairs.)