[dba-Tech] Developing Mobile Apps

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 07:35:12 CST 2012

My early impressions are that for developing HTML5 cross-platfom apps
with Phonegap is fairly straight forward. If you can write HTML5 then
you can write a fairly sophisticated app.

My biggest issues so far is the directory structure and how to keep
the files for the different platforms separate. iOS, Android and
Blackberry ALL require different directory structures and different
versions of the Phonegap files. So wholesale copy/pasting of the
html/js/css files doesn't work. If you add in Sencha or JQuery mobile
to the mix, then they have different versions as well.

Code managing is going to be my biggest headache I think.

I also used JQuery Mobile in one Proof of concept app. It felt "heavy"
and made the apps loadtime and response slow, or at least feel slow on
the actual devices. In the simulators they felt fine.

So I tried a second PoC replacing JQM with XUI and my own CSS and that
felt better from a speed standpoint. It also seemed to give me more
granular control of the look. I'm sure JQM does give me the
granularity that I want, but since I'm not really familiar with JQuery
Mobile (of JQuery in general) I may not be giving it a fair shake for
ease of customability.

So on the whole PhoneGap is working great for the apps I need to
write, for now :)

Bryan