[dba-Tech] VPN on a virtual Windows 2008 server...and RemoteDesktop

Steve Erbach erbachs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 14:56:26 CST 2012

Jim,

We haven't painted ourselves into a corner.  My client -- the owner of the
app I wrote -- was hoping to offer the application via the Internet without
first having to convert it to an ASP.NET/SQL Server web app.  I've quoted
him on that, but it was a bit high for his blood. It's been a while since I
made that quote (3 years or so) and I know more about .NET and SQL Server
so I'm going to re-visit it.

One option is to continue marketing the application as a stand-alone or
LAN-based Access app as it has been for years.  Of course, keeping everyone
at the same revision level is a challenge.

He recently left the company he was working for after 24 years due to
re-org. Now he wants to devote his energies to this side business that he's
had all these years. My app is a very large part of that. That's why he'd
hoped (me too!) that we could do an interim "Internet" solution with Remote
Desktop.

I got confirmation from GoDaddy that the plan my client purchased (at my
recommendation for about $41 a month) isn't sufficient enough to allow a
VPN to be set up nor can Windows Remote Access Server be set up on it.
 Have to upgrade to a full dedicated server at about triple the price. I
think he should also hire a network guru to assist in setting up VPN and
Remote Access...if we go that way.  What you said about the resource
requirement is important.

Thanks, Jim.

Steve Erbach
Neenah, WI