[dba-Tech] New Windows 8 and Linux

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 15:28:17 CST 2012

A possible workaround is to set up a memory stick to boot and install Linux
on that. My local hardware vendor sells 64GB Kingston memory sticks for
less than $50. I haven't moved to Windows 8 yet, but I'm thinking of losing
my dual-boot setup in favour of the stick approach. To paraphrase Teddy
Roosevelt, "speak Linux and carry a Big Stick." Ubuntu provides detailed
instructions on how to boot from a stick, but of course it depends on your
BIOS supporting that option.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Peter Brawley
<peter.brawley at earthlink.net>wrote:

> On 1/19/2012 1:50 PM, Jim Lawrence wrote:
>
>> It looks like the new Windows 8 computers, on new PC hardware, will no
>> longer dual boot.
>>
>> This effectively means Linux may be impossible to install on all new PCs
>> that ever had and will have Windows 8 OEM installed.
>>
>> Welcome to the new Windows 8 world.
>> --
>
> Arthur
Cell: 647.710.1314

Prediction is difficult, especially of the future.
  -- Niels Bohr