[dba-Tech] Java site crash

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 2 06:18:03 CDT 2012

As related to me by a senior systems developer, many popular Java sites
crash due to a Leap second bug which happened last night as the atomic
clocks, world wide jumped a second. Sites using Hadoop and the Apache
Cassandra databases were also affected. But many of the larger sites like
Google had already anticipated the error and had already morphed that extra
second.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57464559-93/leap-second-bug-causes-site-sof
tware-crashes/

Sites like Mozilla went down and Reddit was still down when last looked.
Sites also affected were StumbleUpon, Yelp, FourSquare, and LinkedIn and so
on.

It appears that this error was well known but many systems did not take the
bug seriously. I guess Oracle had better get to work.