[dba-Tech] Check password strength

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 06:14:25 CDT 2012

Thanks for the links, Mark. As it happens, I regularly use 3 passwords, one
for everything related to finance, one for sites like TechRepublic, and one
for Citrix/SQL connections. All of them use mixed case + special symbols +
numerics, and are easily remembered.

I ran the most sensitive one (the fiscal one) through your first link and
obtained these results:

Search Space Depth (Alphabet):26+10+33 = *69*Search Space Length
(Characters):10 charactersExact Search Space Size (Count):
(count of all possible passwords
with this alphabet size and up
to this password's length)2,
482,167,502,723,212,150 Search Space Size (as a power of 10):2.48 x 1018
Time Required to Exhaustively Search this Password's Space:
Online Attack Scenario:
(Assuming one thousand guesses per second)7.89 hundred thousand
centuriesOffline
Fast Attack Scenario:
(Assuming one hundred billion guesses per second)9.47 monthsMassive
Cracking Array Scenario:
(Assuming one hundred trillion guesses per second)6.89 hours
I thought it was pretty good; now my opinion is backed by evidence.
Arthur