[dba-Tech] So long, Norman

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Mon Jun 4 03:32:30 CDT 2012

Gustav,

Where do I even begin? It is entirely possible that either you have been blessed or I and those close to me personally and professionally have been cursed, but I have never known a Windows system to be stable for very long. Usually after 6 or so months it starts developing "quirks". The occasional slowness or crash or not being able to connect to some device properly etc. Something just feels off. Then, after that, it's just a question of eventual disintegration. There are no obvious hints as to what the problem is. Your anti-virus software manages to find some ugly tracking cookies, but nothing beyond that. Your hard drive seems fine and SMART doesn't flag anything. Your system is all up-to-date and you aren't running out of disk space and memory seems fine. After a while, sleeping/hibernating your computer returns it to a very slow system where Windows just seems to frequently stare off to space occasionally for no reason and your USB device (i.e. mouse or whatnot) refuses to connect. No applications are running and so you shrug your shoulders and figure a clean reboot is the best option. This is often the best solution, returning your system to its normal speed and state, but for how long?

Granted, if you only install a minimum amount of applications and do not surf the web, you can probably keep Windows pretty stable, but you would not be the ordinary Windows user then. Most users will be installing many things over time: applications, games, etc and all the DLLs & other dependencies that come along with that. Windows is a fickle beast to such users. It works well for a while, but just the slightest thing will push it over the critical edge and you never know what that might be.

If this does not ring familiar to you, then I don't know what to say. This has been my experience personally and through people who needed technical help with Windows, including managing a corporate Windows network and terminal services on Windows Server 2008. The smartest thing you can do is take a snapshot of your newly installed system with something like DriveImage XML, making sure to keep your data on a separate partition from your system partition, and restore your system ever so often. I'm not saying this as a newcomer to Windows. I've been a PC users since the days of DOS, but personally decided to jump ship before Vista came out. Saying that, I've still been managing Windows machines since, so I am familiar enough with Vista and 7.

Speaking of terminal services, I've currently got a system with 25-30 or so connected users, which has a WINSXS folder filling up like crazy with multiple copies of the same darned DLL files over and over again to the point where it fills up 15 gigabytes. This server is static in the sense that no new software has been installed in over a year or two, yet this directory keeps growing all the time for whatever brilliant reason. My guess is that Windows Server just keeps on thinking that its probably best to play safe and duplicate DLLs every single time the same application (office, firefox and IE) is launched (remind me again what a DLL is for? <sarcasm>).

Does anyone if it is safe to simply wipe this directory? And do you know why this is happening specifically?

Hans