[dba-Tech] Printer virus

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Jun 11 12:05:47 CDT 2012

I'd recommend almost anything else instead.

But for enterprise situations I use Vipre Business edition, for tiny
businesses (< 10) and for home offices I prefer Vipre Internet Security (now
includes an Android solution as well). It has free U.S based support. I
don't know of any Ireland based AVs. Sophos was U.K. based, so maybe that
would be a good alternative to look into. Having good, understandable
support people available is very important when things do go wrong. And
nothing out there is perfect. I've been Beta testing and using Vipre since
they wrote the program a few years ago. I liked it so much that I became an
GFI affiliate and Partner. Here's a link which includes my affiliate info:
https://shop.vipreantivirus.com/582/cookie?affiliate=15847&redirectto=http%3
a%2f%2fwww.vipreantivirus.com%2fVIPRE-Internet-Security%2f&product=65888
(It's easy to become an affiliate of almost every company but I choose not
to because I don't want to associate my name with things I wouldn't
recommend for free anyway).

For free security, I now recommend Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows
Firewall:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials
It runs a lot lighter than most of the free ones and has UI that people can
understand.

I also change their Routers or NICs to use "clean" DNS servers. OpenDNS has
a free service. www.opendns.org  (There are others available.)

I also install the free version of MalwareBytes (without active protection
enabled). Then if someone calls with what sounds like a fake security
program that got by Vipre's active protection, I have them scan with
MalWareBytes (which is really good at cleaning those off).

Good luck!
John B.