[dba-Tech] MS launch of Surface range

Hans-Christian Andersen hans.andersen at phulse.com
Tue Jun 19 23:39:01 CDT 2012

A tablet of any sort, keyboard or not, surface or alternative, is always going to be a very poor environment for software development. The hardware isn't going to be powerful enough to do serious programming (ie. running Visual Studio or SQL Server) and from what I can tell from the pictures, the keyboard was designed with style in mind rather than function - which is fine for casual use, but I imagine any serious developer will find it frustrating, perhaps to the same extent as with a tiny netbooks keyboard and why thats not a good platform for software development.

If you have the money to blow and you are a huge Microsoft fan, then this looks to be a decent tablet and a good attempt by MS, but I honestly would not call it anywhere near the best that is out there and there is nothing ground breaking here. There are plenty of android tablets out there that are pretty good, if an ipad is not your thing and they all have really cool keyboard addons.

I am only puzzled why MS let the price be so high, because this is going to be a major sticking point for consumers and when faced with a choice of Windows RT and an iPad or any Android tablet, I think any consumer would go for Android/iPad hands down, because that is what everyone else is using and they have a much more developed eco-system. This is the same reason why Windows Phone 7 is struggling to even make a dent in the mobile market ( ie. its in the 'Other' category meaning it only takes a portion of the 4.8% in this category - from source: http://www.slashgear.com/android-and-ios-swallow-global-smart-device-market-19234683/ ).

Tablets are not development platforms, that's pretty obvious and you'd want a laptop or desktop for that sort of stuff. Businesses have use for tablets, but I guess not in the way you are thinking. I see a lot of businesses switching their POS clients with ipads or using it for conferences and meetings. It makes sense, but if you haven't ever even used one, then I can understand why its a bit hard to imagine.

Hans